Foot Care Tips: Easy Daily Lifehacks to Keep Your Feet Healthy
Your feet are the foundation for your active, fulfilling lifestyle. Whether you’re chasing the next business deal or a toddler who escaped from the bath, running a 5k marathon or walking around an amusement park with your family, your feet are your most constant ally in your busy life. Maintain your healthy feet with these foot care tips and facts so you can look forward to whatever the world has to offer!
Did You Know?
- Your toes carry one-half of your body weight each time your heel leaves the ground when you walk
- An average day of walking equates to carrying hundreds of tons of force. That’s as much as a loaded cement truck!
- With about one-quarter of the bones in the human body concentrated in the foot, it’s crucial to make sure that your feet are properly supported so that your entire body is properly aligned
Easy Foot Exercises
Your feet need as much care as the other parts of your body. Here are few exercises you can choose from to keep your feet healthy after a long day juggling your commute, job, and chores at home:
One of the best ways to maintain healthy feet is walking, since it’s low-impact and also has the added cardiovascular and circulatory benefits that contribute to your overall health.
To help strengthen foot muscles and improve balance, pick up small objects with your toes, such as pebbles or socks. You can also scrunch a towel with your toes.
Wrap an elastic band around your toes to provide resistance. Stretch your toes against the band for five seconds, then release. Repeat five times for each foot. This is especially helpful for those who suffer from bunions or cramped toes. Another great option is to stand barefoot with your weight on your heels, then stretch your toes away from each other without lifting them up.
While seated, roll a frozen bottle of water under your heel and arch for 10-20 minutes per day to loosen up your arches and soothe your muscles.
Tips for Healthy Feet
- Give your toenails a break from nail polish. Dark nail polish all the time can yellow your nails.
- Don’t neglect barefoot time! Your feet need the opportunity to air out and stretch in a natural position. For extra help stretching and massaging those little piggies, try a pair of our Flex-Tastic gel relaxers.
- Replace your shoes about once a year, and your insoles and inserts every 6-8 months. This helps prevent foot problems, such as plantar fasciitis.
- Wear socks every time you choose closed-toe shoes to prevent foot fungus.
- Choose socks made of blended materials designed to retain shock absorption qualities and wick wetness away from your skin. 100% cotton socks keep moisture near your feet, and dry slowly, which can lead to blisters.
Fun Foot Facts
- An average person walks 115,000 miles in their lifetime. That’s enough to stroll around the Earth four times!
- There are roughly 250,000 sweat glands in a pair of feet, which is why good , such as those made from blended materials, wick sweat away from your skin!
- Baby feet are so pudgy and adorable because they are born with a pad of fat in place of the foot arch. Arches don’t grow in until the child is about two and a half.
For more daily foot care tips, follow us on Facebook, or @PROFOOT_Inc on Twitter!